Sofia – Zemen– Sofia – Rila monastery – Plovdiv – Bachkovo – Plovdiv – Gabrovo – Dryanovo – Veliko Tarnovo – Troyan – Glozhene – Sofia
Price: 616 euro
Dates: 19.07.; 23.08.; 13.09.; 04.10.2014
8 days/7 overnights
Day 1 – Sofia
Arrival in Sofia. Transfer to the hotel, accommodation. Visit to the medieval Boyana Church, included in UNESCO World Heritage List. Upon request, evening panoramic tour “Sofia by night” and dinner at traditional restaurant with folklore music and dances. Overnight in Sofia.
Day 2 – Sofia – Zemen – Sofia
Breakfast. Drive to the town of Zemen. Visit to Zemen Monastery, established in the 11th century. The monastery church is considered as an outstanding monument of the Bulgarian architecture, because it is the only existing church of that form. The wall paintings are among the few well-preserved ensembles from the Second Bulgarian Kingdom (XIV c.). Drive back to Sofia. Overnight in Sofia.
Day 3 – Sofia – Rila monastery – Plovdiv
Breakfast. Drive to Rila Monastery. It is the largest and the most famous Eastern Orthodox monastery in Bulgaria, built in the 10th century. Visit to the monastery church Nativity of the Virgin. One of its greatest treasures is the wooden iconostasis, some 14th and 15th century icons, wall paintings, made by the famous artist Zahari Zograph. Walk around the monastery – Hrelyo’s Tower, the old kitchen, and the history museum. Walk around the monastery and free time. Drive to the town of Plovdiv via Borovets Resort. Accommodation and overnight in Plovdiv.
Day 4 – Plovdiv – Bachkovo – Plovdiv
Breakfast. Drive to Bachkovo Monastery. Tour of the monastery, which dates back to 11th century and is one of the most important and well preserved Bulgarian monasteries. It is known and appreciated for the unique combination of Byzantine, Georgian and Bulgarian culture, united by the common faith. Visit to the monastery church Virgin Mary (dating from 1604), which treasures the wonder-working icon of Virgin Mary Eleusa from 1310. Walk around the monastery. Drive back to Plovdiv. Free time in the city centre and the Old town. Overnight in Plovdiv.
Day 5 – Plovdiv - Gabrovo – Dryanovo – Veliko Tarnovo
Breakfast. Drive to the town of Shipka. Visit to Shipka Memorial Church, designed in a 17th century Moscow style. It has been raised in memory of the Russian, Ukrainian and Bulgarian soldiers, who gave their lives for the liberation of Bulgaria during the Russian-Turkish war 1877-1878. Drive to Sokolski Monastery (built in1833) and tour of the monastery. The monastery chapel treasures icons painted by Zahari Zograf. The eight-spouted fountain constructed by Kolyo Ficheto is in the middle of the monastery courtyard. Stop at the ethnographic open-air museum Etar near Gabrovo. Drive to Dryanovo Monastery of St. Archangel Michael. During the April revolt in 1876 the monastery was the scene of a heroic battle between the Bulgarian revolutionaries and the numerous Turkish Army. Accommodation and overnight in Veliko Tarnovo.
Day 6 -Veliko Tarnovo
Breakfast. Sightseeing tour of Kilifarevo Monastery situated to the south of the town of Kilifarevo. Nikola Fichev reconstructed the church of the monastery in 1840, while the icon screen is a masterpiece of woodcarving of the representatives of the Tryavna Artistic School. Drive to Preobrazhenski Monastery in the vicinity of Veliko Tarnovo. The monastery is a remarkable example of Bulgarian Revival art. When it was reconstructed in 1825, the master builder Nikola Fichev did the construction of the church, while the great painter Zahari Zograf is the author of the wall paintings of the same church. Drive back to Veliko Tarnovo. In the evening, upon request, audio-visual show “Tsarevets in Sounds and Lights”. Overnight in Veliko Tarnovo.
Day 7 – Veliko Tarnovo – Troyan – Glozhene – Sofia
Breakfast. Drive to Troyan Monastery in the village of Oreshak. The monastery is remarkable for the miraculous icon Three-handed Virgin, kept in its church. Drive to Glozhene Monastery and visit to the monastery. Drive to Sofia. Accommodation and overnight in Sofia.
Day 8 – Sofia
After breakfast, time for shopping in the city centre. Transfer to the airport and departure.
The price includes:
- Arrival and departure transfers;
- 7 nights accommodation on BB basis at 3* hotels in Sofia, Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo;
- Air-conditioned comfortable motor-coach or minivan;
- All excursions mentioned in the itinerary;
- Professional English tour guide;
- Special lectures on coach during long rides.
The price does not include:
- Single supplement (97 EUR per person);
- Personal expenses, meals (lunch and dinner) and drinks, entry taxes for museums visited individually;
- The audio-visual show “Tsarevets in Sounds and Lights” is a subject of additional request, confirmation and payment, please discuss it with us;
- Evening panoramic tour “Sofia by night” and dinner at a traditional restaurant with folklore music and dances;
- All entry taxes and service charges for the mentioned in the itinerary sights.
- Accommodation on BB basis at 3* hotels in Sofia, Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo Twin room (separate beds, not guaranteed) – included in the price
- Accommodation on BB basis at 3* hotels in Sofia, Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo Double room (not guaranteed) – included in the price
- Accommodation on BB basis at 3* hotels in Sofia, Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo Additional bed in double room – included in the price
- Accommodation on BB basis at 3* hotels in Sofia, Plovdiv, Veliko Tarnovo – Single room – €97
- Evening panoramic tour “Sofia by night” and dinner at a traditional restaurant with folklore music and dances - €35.00 – €45.00
- Children 2 to 12 years old in their parents` room – €32.00